You may think that choosing blinds is something you do real quick, but you would be disappointed. There are so many different styles out there, each with its own advantages and disadvantages, that you may feel somewhat overwhelmed. This is why you shouldn’t start looking until you have asked yourself a couple of questions. Why blinds instead of curtains? What do you want the blind to do? How do you want to operate the blind? What color and material will work for you?
The Types of Blinds
- Roller blinds, which are basically a single piece of fabric against your window. They roll up and down, giving you a measure of control over the light.
- Venetian blinds, which are aluminum and have horizontal slats. You can angle these slats for more control over the light.
- Wood Venetian blinds, which are the same as the above, only made out of a wood material.
- Vertical blinds, whereby the slats run vertically. They come in all types of materials, including PVC, fabric and wood. The slats are stiffened so that they keep their shape. You can rotate the slats for further control over the light, and you can pull the entire thing to the side.
- Roman blinds, which are like roller blinds, only they fold up rather than rolling up.
- Pleated blinds, which are very similar to Roman blinds.
You also need to think about how you will use the blinds. In very large windows, you could consider having multiple blinds, even multiple styles, to give you even more control.
You do also have to think about the material. This is vital in determining how your look will look overall. A lot of people choose fabric blinds, because you can get them in all sorts of different patterns, enabling you to create a really unique look. Aluminum doesn’t look as good, generally, but it is very affordable. Wood looks beautiful and natural but cannot be used in rooms with high moisture levels such as the bathroom or kitchen.
Do also think about maintenance. Generally speaking, blinds other than fabric blinds can simply be wiped down with a damp cloth. Fabric blinds may need to be washed every once in a while. It is very important to follow the instructions however, particularly with vertical blinds. This is because the blinds have been stiffened for them to keep their shape, and you could lose this stiffening material by washing them wrong.
Next, think about the room. As stated, wood is not suitable for kitchens and bathrooms, but you could opt for faux wood instead. In bedrooms, you may want to install black out curtains, which means no light comes in at all. If your room is really dusty, then pleated and Venetian blinds are not really suitable because they will need constant cleaning.
Make sure you speak to someone about your blind options, also to help you measure them.